The global functional water market size was USD 10.34 billion in 2017 and is projected to reach USD 18.24 billion by the end of 2025.
The global desalination market is likely to expand at a CAGR of 7.8% from 2018 – 2025. The global water desalination market is estimated to be valued over USD 32 billion by 2025.
This can be attributed to the increasing population, less availability of freshwater bodies, increase in industries resulting into increase in water requirement, increase public awareness about water conservation and strict government laws on water treatment. The increase in demand for efficient quality water used for daily domestic usage and drinking has substantially increased in last decade because of the rise in worldwide population, especially in urban areas.
According to the United Nations, a human being needs 110 L/day. In Portugal they spend in average 187 L/day. Portugal is the second country in Europe with the highest rate of per capita water consumption, only surpassed by Norway, where each person spends an average of 200 liters of water per day.
Considering the area of first implementation of Fata Morgana´s facility, which is Alentejo, it has:
- 20 municipalities
- 245.000 inhabitants (censos 2011)
- 15 350 km² of area. It covers 17% of the portuguese continent territory
- Water produced in 2017 - 21,4 M (m3/Year)
- 170km of costal area
Next goal would be to assist as well Algarve, it has:
- 16 municipalities
- 500.000 inhabitants (low turism season)
- 1 M inhabitants (high tursim season)
- Water produced in 2018 - 69,5 M (m3/Year)
- 4 995 km² of area. It covers 6% of the portuguese continent